Muusikoiden.net

Kitarat: kitarakamat »

Keskustelualueet | Lisää kirjoitus aiheeseen | HakuSäännöt & Ohjeet | FAQ | Kirjaudu sisään | Rekisteröidy

Aihe: From France, looking for tonewood
1 2
sycomore
12.02.2011 20:34:43
      Linkitä kirjoitukseen Tulosta  

HI all,

I'm french and i'm looking for "fligured artic birch" to build a top for a Les Paul clone.
I wish something like that https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_ … I/AAAAAAAAAxQ/HHCEfl-cf_Q/artic.jpg

In France, Swiss, Belgium or Germany, it's unable to find this wood. Could you please provide me email adress or web sites for tonewood suppliers in Finland or Norway or Swede ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Best regards

Philippe

Spike
12.02.2011 20:47:11 (muokattu 12.02.2011 21:04:27)

-Kaikki soitinrakentajat, erityisesti Soitinrakentajat Amf www.soitinrakentajatamf.fi
-Puukeskus www.puukeskus.fi
-Viilukeskus Turku, www.viilukeskus.fi
-Suomen Ekopuu www.thermotimber.fi
(suoraan elektroniikkapalstalta)

Maybe these help?

marviner
12.02.2011 20:58:43

Finnish custom guitar shop Ruokangas might be the place you're looking for. At least they are using arctic birch in some of their custom guitar models, so I recommend contacting them:

http://www.ruokangas.com/?p=1903

Jucciz
12.02.2011 20:58:45

Spike korjannee ekan linkin.

Jos kevyen musiikin nuotinkirjoitus ja komppilaput kiinnostavat, tutustu ihmeessä sivustooni: Lappu soimaan!
sycomore
12.02.2011 20:58:54

Thank you very much and your quick reply for this adress, i'll trying to send an email.

Please, how you translate "figured artic birch" in finnish ?

Some pages of the websites are not translate by Google. How you write "contact" (for email) in finnich ?

Thank a lot & best regards

Philippe

vvaltsu
12.02.2011 21:05:56 (muokattu 12.02.2011 21:13:41)

sycomore: Thank you very much and your quick reply for this adress, i'll trying to send an email.

Please, how you translate "figured artic birch" in finnish ?

Some pages of the websites are not translate by Google. How you write "contact" (for email) in finnich ?

Thank a lot & best regards

Philippe

It's called "loimukoivu" or. And contact is "yhteydenotto" or "yhteystiedot".

Edit: Corrected the word for figured arctic birch.

Tiluttaminen on kuten seksi, joskus siihen menee kiinnostus mutta aika nopeesti se kiinnostus palaa uudelleen. -aalataur | I feel like a king, when I swing my thing -Günther
K_A
12.02.2011 21:38:46 (muokattu 12.02.2011 21:39:10)
Musiikkinäyte       Linkitä kirjoitukseen Tulosta  

I don't think you need a lot of translating. Most Finnish people can speak quite good english.

Elämme kovia aikoja, ystävä hyvä.
sycomore
12.02.2011 22:36:58

K_A : the translation was just for my information. In France we don't use english names for the wood but when your speak with others countries, the english is forced.

Joees
13.02.2011 16:26:54

I would ask from Ruokangas Guitars. Don't know if they would sell it but they're really known for using arctic birch on their guitars.

Loafers
Grunge-garagerokin räimettä höystettynä powerbluesilla á la Zepukat -fox
Humina on mun särö ja feedback on mun laulaja.
Little Savage
14.02.2011 11:50:19

I once ordered piece of flame birch for guitar top from Viilukeskus. I though they sent worst piece they got ! I think the best option is to visit wood dealer so you know what youre getting. Wood dealers of Finland are from stoneage and they dont know about putting up pics of the wood theyre selling. I doubt that Ruokangas is willing to sell his wood,but asking doest cost anything.

ÄÄ TÄKÄ TÄKÄ TÄKÄ TÄÄ. Anna sakkoa saatana.
Hanok
14.02.2011 13:25:07

From the links above, for example Puukeskus is just a generic dealer of wood materials. They are not experts in materials for musical instruments, and most likely they are not really interested in hand selecting the kind of wood you want. You may have better luck if you have a chance to visit their shop, but even in this case it is not easy to get figured arctic birch, since it's not a common material even here in Finland.

Have you read what Juha Ruokangas writes about the wood:
http://www.ruokangas.com/?p=1903

Juha says that he is personally involved in the process of selecting arctic birch while the trees are still standing in forest.

It seems that it would be very difficult if not impossible to get high quality arctic birch from wood suppliers. Maybe Ruokangas might sell some, but it won't be cheap.
Little Savage
14.02.2011 14:06:44

That Arctic birch is just bull shit sales name. If its not harvested from artic circle, its not arctic. End of story. Flame birch and arctic birch is the same. I hate this Ruokangas idea that there is some special species wood of that grows only in his backyard.

ÄÄ TÄKÄ TÄKÄ TÄKÄ TÄÄ. Anna sakkoa saatana.
Hanok
14.02.2011 14:16:00

Little Savage: That Arctic birch is just bull shit sales name. If its not harvested from artic circle, its not arctic. End of story. Flame birch and arctic birch is the same. I hate this Ruokangas idea that there is some special species wood of that grows only in his backyard.

Ruokangas is of course marketing their own ideas, especially ones that are not so common in guitar industry. However, the point remains: acquiring good quality (good sound and stunning looks) figured birch is most likely harder than some other materials.
JeKo
14.02.2011 14:40:45

Little Savage: That Arctic birch is just bull shit sales name. If its not harvested from artic circle, its not arctic. End of story. Flame birch and arctic birch is the same. I hate this Ruokangas idea that there is some special species wood of that grows only in his backyard.

The wood Ruokangas uses is actually called "jääkoivu". There's just no apt english equivalents for naming it so Juha calls it arctic birch.

"The left hand steers and the right hand is the gas - If you can't steer, you shouldn't press the gas" -Paul Gilbert
Instrumentaalikitarointia
jii.haanpaa
14.02.2011 14:46:44

JeKo: The wood Ruokangas uses is actually called "jääkoivu". There's just no apt english equivalents for naming it so Juha calls it arctic birch.

Really? I think "jääkoivu" is a flower, begonia. Must be very hippie guitars then?

http://www.uta.fi/~hr76043/Kasvit/kukat/Annansilma.html

Spiral
14.02.2011 14:56:40

Hanok: Juha says that he is personally involved in the process of selecting arctic birch while the trees are still standing in forest.

Typical, "Me, me me! Now, now now!"
Mass production without any respect for tone or wood.

When I'm choosing tonewood, I first select a forest that sounds right. This is crucial. As we know, garbage in, garbage out. So, after finding a forest that meets my requirements for sparkling cleans and growling hi gain sounds I go thru the forest knocking every tree to find the best possible parents for the tone wood tree. When this couple has had baby trees, I knock the trunks four times a year (each season) to listen to the tones and to weed out the weak. Finally, no tone wood is used unless it graduates from upper secondary school, but preferably from university.

I won't even go the the process of selecting the materials for my hand-made strings (mining and all that stuff, somewhat complicated), but you get the picture.

JeKo
14.02.2011 15:19:35

Spiral: Typical, "Me, me me! Now, now now!"
Mass production without any respect for tone or wood.

When I'm choosing tonewood, I first select a forest that sounds right. This is crucial. As we know, garbage in, garbage out. So, after finding a forest that meets my requirements for sparkling cleans and growling hi gain sounds I go thru the forest knocking every tree to find the best possible parents for the tone wood tree. When this couple has had baby trees, I knock the trunks four times a year (each season) to listen to the tones and to weed out the weak. Finally, no tone wood is used unless it graduates from upper secondary school, but preferably from university.

I won't even go the the process of selecting the materials for my hand-made strings (mining and all that stuff, somewhat complicated), but you get the picture.

A case of the Mondays? ;)

"The left hand steers and the right hand is the gas - If you can't steer, you shouldn't press the gas" -Paul Gilbert
Instrumentaalikitarointia
Spiral
14.02.2011 15:43:17

JeKo: A case of the Mondays? ;)

Naah, I'm just serious about tone and wood.
;)

Vetehinen
14.02.2011 15:53:27 (muokattu 14.02.2011 15:53:35)

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visakoivu ?

"Questions are a burden to others - answers a prison for oneself."
vvaltsu
14.02.2011 16:03:22

beliel: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visakoivu ?

Visakoivu doesn't look like this, don't you think? http://www.ruokangas.com/shared/S7_01.jpg

Tiluttaminen on kuten seksi, joskus siihen menee kiinnostus mutta aika nopeesti se kiinnostus palaa uudelleen. -aalataur | I feel like a king, when I swing my thing -Günther
« edellinen sivu | seuraava sivu »
1 2

» Lisää uusi kirjoitus aiheeseen (Vaatii kirjautumisen)

Keskustelualueet «
Haku tästä aiheesta / Haku «
Säännöt «